Monday 13 October 2014

Sepia Saturday 250 : 18 October 2014


This week’s prompt picture comes from the Powerhouse Collection via Fickr Commons, titled ‘A Man And His Shoe Repair Stall’ and dated 1930. It’s a hand-painted lantern slide but there is no other information given. You can let your imagination run free with your responses to this one. Street traders, roadside artisans, menders, cobblers, tools-of-the-trade, hand-colouring and lantern slides - or you could celebrate Sepia Saturday’s 250th Edition with a party!

Of course you don’t have to theme and can simply post an old picture or two with a link back to Sepia Saturday, on or around 18 October. Enter your (direct) link to your own blogpost below and leave us a comment please. Then take a trip to other Sepians to see what wares they have displayed; and remember to show your appreciation of their efforts with a word or two in their comments section.

Dont forget that there is a Facebook group for Sepia Saturday contributors. Why not join us as we have a lot of fun and post some interesting items there. You will need to have posted on Sepia Saturday at least once; then you’ll be given a warm welcome.
Marilyn 
(aka Little Nell)

For those who like to plan ahead here are the next two prompts:


                                        251: Bobbies, bellies, bums, brushes, beards, brass buttons, boys in blue

                                    252: Help yourself, name tags, 50th Anniversaries, serving line, marquee, pots

Heres a hand-coloured mini-banner to add to your post if you wish.



17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I solved my quandry by going out in another direction than the prompt. But I discovered a high school yearbook in 1933 with my father's best friend, so this week I feel I have gained something.

La Nightingail said...

Street stalls, mall stalls, fairs, festivals, farmers markets, flea markets - they're all here!

Wendy said...

Colorized photos for me -- this prompt must be a real challenge because I'm never this high up on the list! I'll be away for a few days so it might take me awhile to visit.

Kerryn Taylor said...

My contribution is Cobbler or bootmaker

Postcardy said...

I have postcards of Mexican pottery and potters. I spent a lot of time looking at videos of Mexican pottery, but didn't find anything suitable to embed. I did find a classic Kodak commercial.

Jofeath said...

No post from me this week as I'm away, attending my mother's memorial service, but I could refer you back to a previous post showing the shop of a bootmaking ancestor : http://turnerstreettopics.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/now-you-see-them-now-you-dont.html

Bob Scotney said...

Cobblers to a space spectacular.

Mike Brubaker said...

I'm completely off the mark this weekend, so I'm sending in the clowns.

DougVernX said...

I have a rather large shoe to show...

Anonymous said...

I have used a cook book as one of a housewife's "tools of the trade".

Little Nell said...

My subjects are making an honest living - wherever they are.

Boobook said...

A touch of colour this week.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Happy 250th!!! What an array of responses to the theme so far. This group is full of surprises..it's a challenge to come up something as interesting as most of these posts. I feel I'm hanging out "upwards" at Sepia Saturday and will get better from being in such good company.

Alex Daw said...

Late again - never enough time! Bear with me...more war photos.

Alex Daw said...

Sheetar - I just want to let you know that for the past couple of weeks I have been trying to comment on your blog but I always get an error message or link broken when I try to post. Not sure what the problem is but just thought I'd let you know.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Thanks to a Random Act of Kindness I have added a late submission for this week's Sepia Saturday. Thanks Robert!!

Bel said...

I am so late for this it is not funny! I had started writing the post and then had a million other things distract me. But I decided to post anyway in a back issue kind of way!